Can you create your own happiness?
The other day I was doing some blog surfing and i came across a series on being happy. This; like so many other things; is something we take for granted. Happiness is sometimes an effort. Sometimes it takes work.
In today’s fast paced and busy lives we sometimes lose touch with the things that make us happy. We forget to be thankful for everything we’ve got.
It can be so much easier to just focus on what we don’t have. To focus on what we think we need. Focus on what we think we should have. Rather than to just be happy (truly happy) with what we do have.
Happiness doesn’t have to take a lot of work – but you do sometimes have to work at it. Sometimes you need to stop, take a step back and just appreciate the things around you. Once you can be truly thankful for what you have. And once you can show true gratitude for what you have. That is when happiness starts to take over and infect your being.
Have you ever noticed how difficult it is to cheer up when you are focusing on what you don’t have. The only way that you do eventually feel better, is when you stop thinking about those things and focus on something else.
It is important to sometimes stop, take a deep breath and instead of focusing on other things just take in what’s around you. This is where being a mom comes in fantastically; in my opinion. Take a moment to just look at your kids. Watch them playing. Watch them just being. Watch them sleeping. I can guarantee that it will be very difficult to stay in a bad mood after that.
How often are you truly thankful for what you have?
How often are you grateful??
These simple acts of showing gratitude and being thankful are also great ways to improve your happiness. Take a moment to just realize what you have and see how easy it can be to make yourself happy.
If you find that that is not enough, you can try some of these simple tricks:
- Treat yourself to a healthy meal. No not Mc Donalds, but rather something that’s good and good for you.
- Spend some time outside enjoying nature. Take a hike or spend some time gardening, or simply take the kids to the park.
- Listen to some of your favorite music. Crank up the volume and blast the tunes for a quick pick me up.
- Work out. Doing some healthy exercises, at the gym or even at home can be a great way to improve your mood. Aerobic exercises such as jumping jacks do wonders!
- Be happy for others. Such a simple thought, but difficult action.
- Give back to others. This can be by donating food, clothes, or just your time.
- Call a friend or family member, even if it’s just to say hi. Making a small effort to show others that you care is an amazing mood booster – for both parties.
- Take a deep breath. It is amazing the amount of positive benefits that a single deep breath can have on your health. Deep breathing can lower your stress, relieve tension and improve your mood (among other things).
So make yourself happier today! We can all do with more happiness.