We recently moved to a smaller apartment (much smaller) in the hopes that downsizing would help us save more money financially and therefor have more money for fun family activities. During this process we had to decide how the sleeping arrangement was going to work. Our new apartment only has 2 small bedrooms. Our children do have a notable age gap (Zoey is 6 and Dean is 10 months). We were torn on whether or not it would work to have them share a room. As there literally wasn’t enough space in our room for a baby crib for Dean. Are we going to let them room share?
I am not opposed to children sharing a room in the least. I was concerned because I didn’t want my 6-year old to be effected by a crying baby. So my husband and I decided to do a trial run and see how it goes.
It went so much better than expected! Zoey was more than happy to share her room with her baby brother – in fact she insisted on it. Now that he is more mobile, and more of his personality is coming through the two of them would spend time together ‘playing’ in their room. Which is amazing and something I was worried wouldn’t happen due to their age gap. The two of them are so close which I definitely attribute to them sharing a room.
When Dean does start to cry at night, we bring him in with us so as to not disturb Zoey. Although I am wondering if that would be possible, the girl sleeps like a rock! So far this has worked amazingly well for us. I also think I’m going to keep it this way for as long as possible. I read a very nice article on the subject over at Balancing Beauty & Bedlam (click here for the article). I cannot agree more. Room sharing is not for everyone, but it seems to be working for us at the moment.
The other morning I was wasting some time channel browsing and ended up on a reality program in which the family was going on vacation. When said family reached their holiday home the kids immediately started throwing tantrums about having to share a room. This upset me so much, that I felt more convinced than ever that having my kids share a room (at least for now) is the right thing for our family.
I am so convinced that it is the right thing to do that I am actually considering building special Loft or bunk beds (built by my hubby and his brother 😉 ) and have actually found a few ideas that look absolutely amazing!
Here are my top picks:
- This castle style bunk bed from Nosiesta. I would just adjust the style to be a little more unisex, so that both Dean and Zoey can enjoy it.
- Or this one from Francesandian, same idea with the style – little less pink.
- I also love these corner beds, although they aren’t bunk or loft beds. They still look adorable. I found this over on Ana White’s I love the possibilities of individualizing these beds to each child’s taste. Zoey’s would be blue; Dean wouldn’t mind (yet).
- I am also absolutely in love with this one! So awesome. Definitely more permanent though, so wouldn’t work in my rental (boohoo). This uniquely, amazing design was done by designer Alexandre de Betak, and the photo is from Jason Schmidt via T Magazine.
- And then lastly (for this post) is this brightly colored Lego’s inspired one! Absolutely perfect if your kids enjoy playing with Lego’s; like Zoey does. And aren’t the colours bright and happy! I found this at The Thing About Joan.
I definitely think I’m going to try bunking them up; maybe even in one of these (or similar). I love them sharing; and wouldn’t have it any other way.
Leave a comment and let me know your thoughts on sharing a room, or even just if you like one of these mentioned ideas.